Administrative Regulation 6530 STUDENT USE OF TECHNOLOGY At the beginning of each school year, parents/guardians shall receive a copy of the district's policy and administrative regulation regarding access by students to the internet and on-line sites. (Ed Code 48980) On-Line/Internet Services: User Obligations and Responsibilities Students are authorized to use the district's on-line services in accordance with user obligations and responsibilities specified below and in accordance with Board policy and the district's Acceptable Use Agreement.
- The district's system shall be used only for purposes related to education. Commercial, political and/or personal use unrelated to an educational purpose is strictly prohibited.
- The district reserves the right to monitor any on-line communications for improper use. Electronic communications and downloaded material, including files deleted from a user's account, may be monitored or read by district officials.
- The use of the district's system is a privilege, not a right, and inappropriate use shall result in a cancellation of those privileges.
- Students are prohibited from accessing, posting, submitting, publishing or displaying harmful matter or material that is threatening, obscene, disruptive or sexually explicit, or that could be construed as harassment or disparagement of others based on their race, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, religion or political beliefs. Harmful matter includes matter, taken as a whole, which to the average person, applying contemporary statewide standards, appeals to the prurient interest and is matter which depicts or describes in a patently offensive way sexual conduct and which lacks serious literary, artistic, political or scientific value for minors. (Penal Code 313)
- Users shall not use the system to encourage the use of drugs, alcohol or tobacco, nor shall they promote unethical practices or any activity prohibited by law or district policy.
- Copyrighted material may not be placed on the system without the author's permission. Users may download copyrighted material for their own use only.
- Vandalism will result in the cancellation of user privileges. Vandalism includes the intentional uploading, downloading or creating computer viruses and/or any malicious attempt to harm or destroy district equipment or materials or the data of any other user.
- Users shall not read other users' mail or files; they shall not attempt to interfere with other users' ability to send or receive electronic mail, nor shall they attempt to delete, copy, modify or forge other users' mail.
- Users shall report any security problem or misuse of the services to the teacher or principal.