Program Overview: Joven Noble & Xinachtli
El Joven Noble and Xinachtli are a comprehensive indigenous based youth leadership development programs that support and guide young men and women though their “rites of passage” process while focusing on the prevention of substance abuse, teen pregnancy, relationship violence, gang violence, and school failure. The Joven Noble program also:
- Is designed to foster responsible, respectful relationships between youth, their families and their communities.
- Instills positive cultural values, a sense of personal responsibility, and profound respect for others in the group.
- Built on the indigenous concept of maintaining PALABRA or credible word, a unique "rites of passage" experience enables participants to draw valuable lessons from traditional cultural values.
- Was developed by the National Latino Fatherhood and Family Institute.
- Introduces positive values and responsibility and seeks to change negative attitudes, behaviors through educational workshops and presentations.
- The programs were acknowledged by the Urban Institute as one of the most outstanding programs in the nation.
JN Group Lessons
Program Overview: Cara y Corazon
Cara y Corazon is a culturally based family strengthening/community mobilization group that will assist parents and other extended family improve communication with their children, build mutual support amongst each other, and build parents’ confidence about their own parenting skills.
Services for Students
- Case Management: on-going individual appointments and home visits
- Referrals to services as needed
- Academic/Leadership Activities: educational field trips, workshops, retreats and gatherings
- Community Involvement Projects: as scheduled